Nigerian News

Onuk sympathizes with victims of Etaha Itam Market fire

The Executive Chairman of Itu Local Government Council; Hon. Barr. Etetim Onuk has expressed sympathy and solidarity with victims of Tuesday’s fire incident that destroyed goods worth millions of naira at Etaha Itam Market.

Onuk who visited the market on Wednesday morning stated that he was deeply moved by extent of damage caused by this fire. Particularly because of its huge adverse impact on the economic life of the people who struggle daily to earn a living. He averred that to see their investments go up in flames is painful and expressed heartfelt sympathy and solidarity with all the victims, and pray to God to replenish their loss.


Onuk used the opportunity to commend the youths from the area, as well as Firemen for their patriotic and timely intervention which curbed the spreading fire. He said their combined efforts ensured the blazing inferno did not spread to other part of the market and a monumental disaster ultimately averted.

The council boss who inspected the affected shops at the Ikpenwe area of the market disclosed that in addition to what the Local Government administration will to to assist the affected persons, he will also notify the relevant emergency management agencies, through the office of the Deputy Governor of Akwa Ibom State; Mr. Moses Ekpo and ensure they get the much needed relief material.


One of the victims, Mrs. Lucy Sylvanus Effiong who sells edibles like rice and beans said she lost goods worth millions of naira in that fire incident and appealed to the State Government to come to their aid.

Similarly, another shop owner Mr. Nwodom Nwabueze who sells academic books and stationary materials lamented their loss, stating that his whares has been reduced to ashes. He solicited for assistance from the government to help them back on their feet.


Meanwhile, the Chairman Board of Trustee, Etaha Itam Market; Mr. Godwin Ebong who doubles as the Special Assistant to the Local Government Chairman on Trade and Market Matters disclosed that the unfortunate fire incident started around 9pm on Tuesday and that the youths from Ikpenwe Street help salvage some good from the shops before the Firemen arrived to put out the fire. He commended the Council Chairman for promptly coming to ascertain the level of damage and called for support for the affected traders.

Related Articles


No Comment.

Back to top button